I've always been a fan of legends. Fairies, selkies, leprechauns, witches, wizards, ghosts, hauntings, curses, superstitions, unicorns, cabbage patch kids, blarney stones, loch ness monsters, ancient jewels, family curses, vampires, warewolves...
I've never seen very much proof of any of it. But that doesn't mean that i can't pick up a book and immediately lose myself in a world of mystical and magical creatures. Somehow the worlds created within their pages, full of fanciful characters and happenings, are a welcome relief from the everyday world we live in.
I don't think i'm the only person to feel like this, judging by how well supernatural themed books are selling at the moment. Harry Potter, Twilight, Inkspell, Obernewtyn... just to name a few.
There's something about escaping into a world of fantasy that you just can't get from a book that strikes a little closer to home; a book soley about death, war, famine, poverty, sadness, love... it's the magic that comes from tossing in a unicorn or a werewolf that adds that extra *zing* to a story, another dimension that keeps you just that little bit further away from reading too much of your own life into the book.
This is coming from a girl who thought her life uncannily mirrored quite a lot of the first three Twilight novels (minus the fanged creatures, of course). But still. On the whole, the legends of the world provide an escape to another world that i usually can't help but take.
I've never seen very much proof of any of it. But that doesn't mean that i can't pick up a book and immediately lose myself in a world of mystical and magical creatures. Somehow the worlds created within their pages, full of fanciful characters and happenings, are a welcome relief from the everyday world we live in.
I don't think i'm the only person to feel like this, judging by how well supernatural themed books are selling at the moment. Harry Potter, Twilight, Inkspell, Obernewtyn... just to name a few.
There's something about escaping into a world of fantasy that you just can't get from a book that strikes a little closer to home; a book soley about death, war, famine, poverty, sadness, love... it's the magic that comes from tossing in a unicorn or a werewolf that adds that extra *zing* to a story, another dimension that keeps you just that little bit further away from reading too much of your own life into the book.
This is coming from a girl who thought her life uncannily mirrored quite a lot of the first three Twilight novels (minus the fanged creatures, of course). But still. On the whole, the legends of the world provide an escape to another world that i usually can't help but take.
8 comments:
I so enjoyed reading this blog on legends. Mystic, folklore, fantasy...they're all great topics for sure.
My H o T legend this week is posted now...do drop by if you have a moment.
Happy Tuesday.
Cabbage Patch Kids?
I haven't read the Twilight books. I've heard differing opinions about them for sure.
I agree with you on books like the Potter series. There's no way to interject your own life into them. I'm sure in some way that adds to their popularity. :)
I also haven't read the Twilight books, but find those kind of books interesting. I love the Shanara series though...
Enjoyed this post. As for me, I've been researching the unexplained for decades - a fascinating subject.
If you're interested, I've a sub-domain on such subjects on my blog. Just click THE UNEXPLAINED at top of site.
Very good post. I have never been one to get into those types of fantasy memes. I can see how others enjoy them.
Great HoT! I love a good fantasy novel and for the most part the farther fiction strays reality the better it is to read. The sole exception is Stephen King who somehow manages to make even the everyday terrify me.
I've read very few fantasy books but did enjoy a couple of the Harry Potter tales. The world is full of legends and you named a number of them. Great post!!
I think i am going to puke.... and no that has nothing to do with your post, i have been drinkinng, then i preceded to do 10km's on the cross trainer......Feel great though :)
Post a Comment