Sunday, April 06, 2008

Pieces Of Me

Do you ever think that your soul is made up of thousands of tiny pieces?

I often do. And when bad things happen, like betrayal, or mistakes, or hurt, i can just feel one of those pieces fall away. Sometimes it's just a little piece, like the middle of a jigsaw puzzle - it's annoying that it's gone, but you can still see the bigger picture. Other pieces are bigger, like the edges, or the corners - without them, you feel like you're floating a little, unable to be completed.

I wonder how many pieces there are in my soul? I wonder how many pieces i've lost - because eventually, when you've lost all your middle pieces, you're not whole any more. Will there be a warning sign? Maybe a loud siren, and words flashing before your eyes - Careful! You've only got 10 pieces of your soul left!

I wonder if there's a way to get the pieces back. In my mind, i think that maybe we can find pieces somewhere; but they won't be the same as the ones that were lost. Imagine getting your Mickey Mouse and Winnie-The-Poo puzzles mixed up, but somehow managing to fit the pieces together. You'll end up with a mismatched soul. It's still functional, it could be whole again, but it will never be as perfect as it was when you were born, before you lost any of the pieces.

I've always thought that, somewhere out there, there's someone that i'll meet, who'll just fill all of the holes in my soul. All of the missing pieces wouldn't matter anymore, i wouldn't feel their loss - i'd be whole again and my soul would be like a patchwork quilt; mismatched, but happy. I can't wait. Hopefully, this person will come before i've lost so many pieces that i'm just a few scattered puzzle pieces in a box labelled 'Annabel's Soul'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if its a good idea to look to perfect yourself with somebody else. They're some pretty unrealistic expectations to labour somebody with and things wouldn't be good when they inevitably fail to meet them. I think people should be comfortably functioning as an independent entity before they have a relationship with somebody else.