Monday, March 15, 2010

Just My Luck

I'd just like to prove to the world exactly how bad my luck is.

For my international criminal justice class every week, we have to read a bunch of articles. We've been put into groups of nine, and have to discuss the articles in 15 minutes, and come to a conclusion. Randomly, one of the group will be selected and have to give a five minute presentation on the subject in front of the group. This five minute, unprepared oral is worth 20% of our grade.

This week, being week 3, i read the week 3 readings (quickly). However, today i discovered that today's class would be covering the week 2 readings, because last week was a public holiday week. Sensible.

Therefore, i was unprepared. But i had a 9 to 1 chance of getting chosen, and i figured they weren't bad odds. Also, i can usually think quickly on my feet, so fingers crossed...

...later that evening, we found out who was the speaker for each group. I wasn't called out. But before i even had time to breathe a sigh of relief, the teacher figured out that the original speaker hadn't turned up. And she announced that i was the back-up. Shit.

Despite a reasonable grasp of the topic, and some notes on what i was going to say, i did an awful job. My words stumbled over one another, my voice was unsure. My points would have been good if only i had been able to make them. It sucked.

I came home feeling like crap. This was something i should've been able to do, and do well. I wanted a good mark for once, for something i was legitimately good at. But no, i had to screw it up. And if it had been any other week, i would've been fine.

I have NO good luck. I suck.

No comments: