Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME! Pt 2...

As saturday dawned, so did the day of my 21st birthday party. Supposedly, i was all organised... however, fate was not on my side. 

The day started calmly. I went to get my hair done (i now have gorgeous, shiny dark hair, and a side fringe. Love it!) - amidst calls from my mother, as she started panicking. The more she panicked, the more stressed i became. My uncle had flown over from melbourne, with his gorgeous new baby boy, whom my mother and i hadn't met yet. Except, he'd flown in saturday arvo, and was flying out sunday morning... giving us practically no time to meet the baby!! So, after getting my hair cut, we flew over to Nan's to meet him. He was so adorable!!!!!! Then, it was off to the Griffins to set up for the party. We picked up two bunches of colourful helium ballons, and a big, shiny '21' ballon pair on the way. After arranging the room, we raced home. 

Enter the really stressful period. The DVD i made full of photos didn't work, so i spent ages redoing it. The playlists i had spent hours making were finally finished - but my ipod wouldn't sync and i therefore had no music. Crap. By this point, it was 7pm and i was supposed to be leaving. I rushed to get ready (i couldn't do my dress up, i couldn't fix my eyelashes, the curls in my hair had fallen out, i had no heel grips in my shoes)... and i missed the taxi. Mum and dad took it, i kept getting ready, then i drove Nick and his friends into the city. By the time i raced upstairs, i was hot and bothered and facing a room that already had a crowd of people in it. 

It took awhile for things to calm down. I plugged my computer in, in place of a DVD. I threw some CDs on, instead of my ipod. I found my shoes. 

The next few hours were a blur. I greeted lots of people, got lots of pressies and swapped my heels for my flats. Mum wrote a poem for her speech that was really cute, then Loz and Loz K did speeches too (that were fairly nice about me). By 11pm, dad was ready to leave, so he and mum started taking pressies and stuff down to the car. Unfortunately, people took this as a cue to leave. Before long, there were only about 15 or so people left. Thankfully, there were some fun people. And we had $400 left on an open bar, so we started shots and jagerbombs and whatever we could think of. Hodgey (one of the boys i love so much, and love to party with) turned up and helped us make it a party. Then it was 1am and they kicked us out. 
I put some people in cabs (they peaked too soon), and we went to the Elephant. But that didn't last long either. Our plans for dancing were set aside when boyfriend got a little overenthusiastic with the alcohol and needed me to take him home... we got kicked out of the cab halfway home because boyfriend was feeling sick, and we had to walk the rest of the way. No more dancing!

All in all, i had a really good night. Granted, everyone pretty much left before 11, except for a few people who hadn't turned up until after 10. One of my best friends was in melbourne, another was passed out drunk, another went home drunk at 11... four of my five best friends from school weren't there, because they don't love me anymore. A few of my close friends who did come, didn't bring presents, which really just means that they don't love me. Boyfriend got drunk and i had to take him home instead of going dancing. My hair wasn't curly, and Loz came up to me and said 'you should've curled your hair, it would've been better'... lovely. One of the speeches from my bestie was written on a post-it...

Considering all those things, it was hardly a perfect night. A few friends made kind gestures though, and a reconnected with a few people, and that's what made it a good night.  Loz took the hint and made me a scrapbook for my present. Also, a friend from dance, and an old school friend who i barely ever see anymore came along and stayed for hours - it was so lovely of them. Once again, i realised that it's events like this that show me that the people who care about me are never the people that i think they are. 

So it was a good party and a memorable 21st.  Which is good, because the next important birthday is 30, and that'll be a depressing one, because i'll be old!!!

Happy 21st Birthday to me.

1 comment:

RosalieGrace said...

You should have called me when the taxi kicked you out...i was driving all over the place chasing people, i could have chased you as well...i mean picked you up. :P
And I've been missing your blog. ;) So stop being so busy.