Saturday, April 10, 2010

What's In A Name?

Romeo and Juliet had a fairly tumultuous last few months of life. Obviously. It's what they're famous for. I wonder if they were so full of poetic lines and dramatic gestures in their earlier years.

I've always been a fan of some of the more classic lines from this Shakespearean work of art. 'To sleep, perchance to dream' and 'goodnight, goodnight, parting is such sweet sorrow' won me a public speaking contest in year 12, when i played to the elderly judges and spoke about the poetry of the world, visible in word and surroundings. Ten points to me.

Lately, another line has been running through my head...
Juliet: What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
Romeo & Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)   
I was born Annabel. Somewhere in high school, my friends started calling me Annie. Mostly. There are a few Anna, Ann and Bella's thrown in there. And a few less acceptable nicknames, which i will let slide here. 

I think a person's name says a lot about a person. Think about movies, for example. Bella, in Twilight is pretty, dramatic and interesting. Characters named Annie are more often seen as red-headed orphans. I'd rather be a Bella than an Annie. Especially because Bella means beautiful, and i need all the help i can in trying to associate myself with the idea of my being beautiful. 

I want to be a Bella!

1 comment:

RosalieGrace said...

You know what's weird? Last night, or maybe the night before, I decided I was going to start calling you Bella. No kidding.