Sunday, August 26, 2007

Summer Sunshine

My Kind Of Job

Today, for work, we had to take youth group to the beach. Granted, it started out as an incredibly stressful event; we'd had a mix up over where to meet and nobody could find Dr.B - and he was in charge! So, i had to herd the kids down there on the tram (it always freaks me out when i am in charge...) and round up all the people who met us down there. But, eventually Dr.B found us and all was well.

I love the beach at the moment. It's just such a happy place, especially in Australia where people seem to be so relaxed. The atmosphere is just chilled and everyone is smiling. Little Bobby was totally within his rights to lose his nappy and toddle around bare bottomed. Bad mood temporarily shelved, i ran into the water (which, admittedly, was numblingly cold) and waded for awhile with English. Later, one of the little girls and i spent an hour or so jumping over the waves as they lapped the shore, not letting them touch our toes. One... Two... Three... JUMP! It kept us amused for hours, she was absolutely adorable.

After being hit by no less than three soccer balls, i escaped the beach sports, swapping them for the incredibly fun task of getting dinner for twenty people. Collecting money and taking a bunch of people to a chip shop to get tea is no easy feat, espeically when the other three people that you're with end up getting their own meal, leaving you to sort out how much money you have and whether you can buy enough - finding just enough time to needle you for being slow and getting frustrated. Plus, doing all of that with a wet and tired four year old on your back. Then trying to carry it all, plus the kid. But hey, eventually i offloaded the food onto them and got it back to the others. I'm never buying dinners again; way to much work. I got to sort out an argument between two of the kids and then start clearing up. After all that, i didn't actually get anything to teat... But hey, it was the beach, so my annoyance faded pretty quickly. Plus, it's pretty amazing to have a job where you get to take a group of lovely kids and your friends to the beach for the afternoon.

Most people headed off after tea, but Loz, Angel, PB, English and i stayed for some ice-cream. We spent a few hours sitting there, watching the sun set, people-watching, laughing and pretending that it really was summer. By the time we headed back to Angel's car, it was 8pm and absolutely freezing. English became my jumper, the poor boy. When Angel dropped me back at my car, English (gentleman that he is) volunteered to drive with me, back to his place.

We (Angel, PB, English and i) got fed tea and kit-kats by their mother, before playing a game of Simpsons monopoly. I was the three-eyed fish. Somehow, i ended up not landing on many properties, so i had barely any to barter with... but hung in there and ended up a close second...ok, so PB and Angel tied for first, so i suppose that would make me a distant third... oh well! It was a fun game. Somehow, we got hooked on the soccer (Arsenal v Manchester City) - i've never watched it before and now i understand soccer! Hurrah! I feel very intelligent.

Angel seemed surprised that i didn't already know stuff about sports, but where am i supposed to learn it from? My older brother and father never really took an interest in teaching me, plus i was never co-ordinated enough to play them myself... so i've decided i'm within my rights to be proud of myself for understanding. I even know players' names! Kaspar Schmeichael is the goalkeeper for Manchester City (his father, Peter, was a legend in soccer). Robin Von Persie is the striker for Arsenal. He kicked Schmeichael in the head... i don't like him. Haha, how fantastic is my soccer knowledge! I even get the offside rule!

We stayed for the whole game... English and PB's mum brought us Macca's at one point (seriously, i love her) and then they headed off to bed. I was nice and comfy, with English as my human-pillow; he's got the cuddles thing down now. Luckily for me. Eventually, Arsenal won by a point. Angel and i headed off fairly shortly.

It had been a strange night... i'd felt a little like a third wheel. Angel and PB get along amazingly well. English always looks after me, but it just was a little odd, seeing as i'd technically come over to hang out with the other two. I know i always imagine things, and probably wasn't a third wheel at all... but it still felt like that. Especially when i was accidentally ignored in the good-byes! Ah well, my inability to hold a grudge is an asset here, so i'm already less annoyed than i was yesterday, hurrah!

Now off to try and put a dent in the multitude of homework that i have to do... so much fun... damn the weather being so lovely today! I want to be outside!

Annie

No comments: